Little Dudes and Divas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Come chat about Diaper Bags, Accessories and have the best fun making wonderful friends! And what's better? Win FREE stuff!

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

not drinking for a cup, a big deal?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
crockpot_queen

crockpot_queen

not drinking for a cup, a big deal? Empty
PostSubject: not drinking for a cup, a big deal?   not drinking for a cup, a big deal? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 4:57 am

Okay here is the deal:

My DD is over 2 and can't/won't drink from a cup w/o a sippy or tumbler top. She keeps putting her tongue over the rim of the rugular cup. She can drink from juice box with a straw and has been since right before she turned one. I am trying the sport bottle lids and that is just a mess. She is in OT for other things, but we are working on the cup issue. Anyone else have this problem. Is it really a big deal that she won't use a cup? I figure she won't be going to college still using a tumbler. Any advice, tricks or ideas will be greatly appreciated. TIA
Back to top Go down
Katy

Katy

PostSubject: Re: not drinking for a cup, a big deal?   not drinking for a cup, a big deal? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 5:54 am

A friend of mine had the same issue! try telling her to bite the cup. it will be a little messy at first, cause her teeth will be cold. but eventually she will learn to move her teeth out of the way and just use her lips. Smile hope it works
Back to top Go down
http://kghall.blogspot.com
crockpot_queen

crockpot_queen

PostSubject: Re: not drinking for a cup, a big deal?   not drinking for a cup, a big deal? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 17, 2010 10:00 pm

Thanks Katy, I am willing to try anything at this point.
Back to top Go down
Maya
Admin
Maya

PostSubject: Re: not drinking for a cup, a big deal?   not drinking for a cup, a big deal? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 7:49 am

I'm definitely no expert but what if you cut the straw to the rim of the cup giving her the idea of sucking from the straw but hold the cup up (while keeping the straw in place with your finger).
She'll try sucking from the straw but will get the hang of using her lips against the rim?
Then maybe make the straw smaller so she ends up not even reaching it?

Again I have no idea if this will work Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.littledudesanddivas.com
boobearzmama

PostSubject: Re: not drinking for a cup, a big deal?   not drinking for a cup, a big deal? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 12:03 pm

My son is 3 1/2 now but he mostly still uses sippies... he can drink from a cup but still likes to pour it out when Im not looking, haha.... I cant remember exactly when we started letting him go without a lid, but I dont think it was too too long ago. I would say just keep letting her practice and maybe when shes closer to 3 it will work better.

Also, my nephew is 2 1/2 and he is still only drinking from sippies, I havent seen him ever try a regular cup (doesnt mean he doesnt, i just havent seen it).
Back to top Go down
crockpot_queen

crockpot_queen

PostSubject: Re: not drinking for a cup, a big deal?   not drinking for a cup, a big deal? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 3:36 am

Thanks you so much. Maya, not a bad idea, I'll try it and let youknow how it goes. booberazmama it is nice to know other kiddos are still using sippy cups. I did go out and get her a cup with glitter and butterflies.
Back to top Go down
lynn4

PostSubject: Re: not drinking for a cup, a big deal?   not drinking for a cup, a big deal? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 2:09 am

my son is 2 1/2 and I dont think its a big deal for him to still be using a sippy as long as he can drink from a straw too
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: not drinking for a cup, a big deal?   not drinking for a cup, a big deal? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

not drinking for a cup, a big deal?
Page 1 of 1